a hobo's song

In a disgusting show of support for the NRA, the Senate vetoed the latest bill expanding background checks on gun purchases, 54-46, with four Democrats crossing over to the No column.

Nevermind that 90% of the country is for better regulation of assault guns, and for background checks. No, rather, the Senate showed that it would rather be afraid of the gun lobby than its own constituents.

Gabby Giffords tore into the senate minutes after the bill was rejected:

“Moments ago, the U.S. Senate decided to do the unthinkable about gun violence — nothing at all,” read the email from anti-gun violence PAC Americans for Responsible Solutions, according to the Arizona Republic. “Over two years ago, when I was shot point-blank in the head, the U.S. Senate chose to do nothing. Four months ago, 20 first-graders lost their lives in a brutal attack on their school, and the U.S. Senate chose to do nothing. It’s clear to me that if members of the U.S. Senate refuse to change the laws to reduce gun violence, then we need to change the members of the U.S. Senate.”

She’s absolutely right. The NRA has spread lies and many senators are mere mouthpieces for them, their souls bought for hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions.

On a side note, where does it say in the Constitution that a super-majority is required for bills to pass? Oh, it doesn’t. Harry Reid could have fixed that problem requiring 60 votes for any bills to pass, and chose not to. As a result, this particular bill died.

I don’t care if Reid is a Democrat — he’s as often a failure as he is a success, and is in sore need of examining his own stance and those of his fellow Democrats. We the People have had enough of this bullshit. Time to fix it.

6 Responses to Shame on the Senate

• Tim Hall says:

The gun rights lobby have a very narrow, sociopathic concept of “Liberty” than can only come at the expense of other people’s freedoms.

Although my belief is the NRA, and their backers, the gun manufactuers, are less delusional than cynical. They daren’t say it out loud, of course, but they’re all in favour of school shootings (provided, of course, it’s someone else’s kids). After each one, there’s a spike in gun sales, and that’s good for business.

They don’t want background checks, because they fear the loss of sales to criminals, terrorists and the mentally unstable, who represent a part of their business.

• silentmark says:

“…but they’re all in favour of school shootings …”

That is the most ridiculous comment I’ve read to date.

I understand both sides, it is just these flippant comments that grey everything.

And I am a member of the NRA and a responsible gun owner. What I personally think would be wasted here as your cognitive dissonance would just go into effect.

Sorry for poo pooing here, I just felt I had to …

• The Tree says:

Mark, the problem is, the manufacturers dominate the NRA these days. Your voice, as it were, is actually pretty meaningless in the greater scheme of the organization, even if they say otherwise. Tim is partially right, I think, in that there’s a cynicism involved in all of this.

The NRA has too much sway over this situation.

• silentmark says:

What lobby doesn’t sway or grey a topic ? That’s what a lobby does, that’s what they always done, for good and bad… My issue is with the “… backers of the NRA support school shootings …” comment and that mentality …

• Kim says:

Saying backers of the NRA support school shootings is hyperbole for sure, but it doesn’t miss the mark too far. NRA backers are gun manufacturers and school shootings are good for their bottom line. What happens after every mass shooting in this country? Gun sales spike, often sales of the exact type of gun used in the shooting. With results like that it’s no wonder the NRA is against common sense gun laws. No advertising campaign could ever result in that kind of ROI.

It’s important to note that when I say “the NRA” I’m not talking about individual members of the NRA. I’m talking about manufacturers. Individual members of the NRA are not represented by the NRA. Gun manufacturers are.

• The Tree says:

I get that and agree, it’s not necessarily accurate. The manufacturers, though, are a whole other kettle of fish. They won’t ever say it where others can hear, but they ARE the real power of the gun lobby, not responsible folks like you.

In a time where the public overwhelmingly supports background checks, this was a flat-out disgrace, and the NRA’s board can have the blame laid squarely on them. Just read what Adolphus Busch IV said.